Friday, August 14, 2009
Korte Calls the whole thing "Surreal", looking to continue improving
I had a chance to speak briefly with former Hillsdale College linebacker and Pittsburgh Steeler Tom Korte this afternoon.
Korte, who saw game action last night against the Cardinals in Pittsburgh's pre-season opener came up with a pair of special teams tackles and is still trying to digest the whole experience.
"It's really hard to describe," he said. "It's been almost a year since I last played at Hillsdale so you are dying to get out there against an opponent, but then you look at the stadium and who the opponent is and that type of audience, and to be on such a national stage...It's just surreal."
Korte also said he was overwhelmed by all of the congratulations he received after the game. "Charger Nation and Steelers Nation are both amazing. I have gotten so many calls and text messages, I can't believe it."
He also said it was nice to see a couple of familiar faces in Evan Brown and Aaron Waldie, two recent alums, who made the trip over to Heinz Field.
When asked about a little limp the ESPN cameras caught after a kickoff, Korte said the ankle is fine and someone had gotten blocked into him. He said it was the Steelers playing prevent and that nickel personnel package that kept him off the field at the end of the game and not any injury.
Overall, Korte says his health is just fine and has been lucky all camp. "The practices physically are actually a little easier on the body than at Hillsdale, but they are so mentally draining."
The focus is to just keep getting better. "I just have to work hard and improve each week. There are some things I know I can do better."
The Steelers travel to Washington on Saturday for their next pre-season game.
- ► 2014 (25)
- ► 2013 (99)
- ► 2012 (133)
- ► 2011 (139)
- ► 2010 (290)
- Great Moment of D2 Sportsmanship
- Korte and Steelers, 1PM Sunday, NFL Network
- Tom Korte Talks to Huge
- Hillsdale - St. Joe's Official Rundown from Hillsd...
- Hillsdale Defense Slams the Door on St. Joe's, Cha...
- Halftime Update from St. Joe's
- WCSR Charger Football Roundtable
- Week 1, 2009 Podcast: Let's Get it On!
- D2football.com' Independent Columnist David Bykows...
- Tony Nicolette, D2football.com: Weekly Column
- Tom Korte Picks off Colt Brennan
- Making Radio Magic, Wednesday 7:00 PM, WCSR
- St. Joe's Travel Links
- Scouting St. Joe's
- GLIAC Games this Week
- Charger Families: Game 1 Tailgating Info and Welco...
- Hillsdale's Panizzi Primed for One Final Run
- Veldheer on Josh Buchanan Scouting Offensive Linem...
- Down in the Dale: It's good to be good
- Korte vs. Cardinals Gallery Up at Chargerbluespace...
- 3 Hillsdale Chargers make most prestigious pre-sea...
- Chargers Fighting Through the Heat, Wear and Tear ...
- Aaron Waldie Gets his shot at the CFL
- The Great Pre-Season Poll Debate
- Korte Calls the whole thing "Surreal", looking to ...
- Chuck Martin: Real Men of Genius
- 17 Days and counting!
- A Deeper Look Into a bit of a Rant
- Eat Like a Champion Today!
- Korte Caps Day with (another) Charlie Batch INT.
- New "Charge On" design now available from Cafe Pre...
- Ferris Gets New Unis
- Charger media guide available for free Download
- Different Year, Same Crappy Pick by the GLIAC Coac...
- Tom Korte Spotting
- ▼ August (35)
- ► 2008 (146)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)