Sunday, November 04, 2007
Hillsdale or Ashland? The Debate Rages.
With one week of the 2007 schedule remaining, the debate rages on as to who should be awarded a spot in the NCAA Division II football playoffs-Ashland or Hillsdale?
Both teams must win their remaining games. Hillsdale has the much tougher task as the Chargers host feisty Saginaw Valley at 6-3. Ashland hosts winless Gannon.
Fans from across the region have been duking it out at D2football.com's message board.
It would be a bitter ending to a great season if Hillsdale is left at home while Ashland plays on into the postseason.
Adding to the bitterness of the argument is the fact that Ashland was trailing Grand Valley before the game was canceled due to too much lightning in the area. Call it good luck for Ashland, bad luck for us. But, let's leave that out of the argument. Ashland fans point our not playing Grand Valley as equally lucky for us and unlucky for them. Neither of us officially played Grand Valley. Let's focus on what we do know.
Hillsdale thoroughly dismantled Ashland 49-28 in a game that was far more of a rout than the 21 point margin.
The NCAA adds winning percentage, strength of schedule, and opponent strength of schedule together to determine a team's overall body of work. Even though Ashland has one less, it is quite possible mathematically that Hillsdale's schedule numbers will map up .071 advantage the Eagles will carry in winning percentage if the clubs both win on Saturday.
Wins by Indy and Michigan Tech will help Hillsdale's numbers even more. Ashland didn't play either school but did play both of Tech and Indy's opponents, thus wins by the afore mentioned boost Charger numbers and weaken Ashland numbers.
All in all, a committee will decide. Let's just hope they see it in a Charger blue way. Maybe Mark Nicolet's record setting day against Ashland will help sway them.
If a picture is worth a thousand words, this video could be worth a trip to the playoffs.
- ► 2014 (25)
- ► 2013 (99)
- ► 2012 (133)
- ► 2011 (139)
- ► 2010 (290)
- ► 2009 (279)
- ► 2008 (146)
- New Regional Allignment for 2008
- Five Chargers on All Region Team
- Mark Nicolet Season Highlights
- Free Decor - Mini Helmet Contest
- Nicolet Named GLIAC Player of the Year, 4 others 1...
- Charger Post-season Awards
- Defense Gets Overlooked Where it Matters Most
- Whatta Year!
- HDN: One Snap at a Time
- Week 11: Biggest Podcast Ever! (Shortest one too)
- Hillsdale Daily News: Catching On
- So Impressed...
- Chargers Break GLIAC Team Record, Close to Another...
- Great Fan Pictures from Doug Waldie
- Chargerblue.com Team Shop 3 Day Sale
- Factualizing the Playoffs
- Hillsdale to Honor Jack McAvoy's Years of Service ...
- Chargers Inch Closer in Regional Rankings
- Waldie Takes GLIAC Offensive Player of the Week
- All Kinds of Charger Records and Milestones Set at...
- Hillsdale or Ashland? The Debate Rages.
- Chargers Roll on the Road to 45-7 Victory
- D2football.com: Tony Nicolette's Gliac Column
- How High Can Nicolet Fly?
- Big Regional Game on CSTV Tonight Nov. 1
- Team needs editors, too - Opinion
- ▼ November (26)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)