Tradition • Character • Service

Tradition • Character • Service

Monday, August 08, 2005

New LB Tom Korte is area's triple crown winner

By PAUL KONYNDYK
Grand Rapids Press

This summer, Catholic Central's Tom Korte is focusing all of his energy on preparing himself for the transition from high school to college football at Hillsdale.

But after football season is over, Korte is hoping veteran Charger skipper Paul Noce will allow him to hook on with the Hillsdale baseball team.

"I'd like to play baseball for Hillsdale, but that is going to be up to the coaches," said Korte, a first-team all-state third baseman. "My football coaches are open to it, but it is going to be up to the baseball coach. I hope he'll let me play."

Let him?

Noce would be insane not to give a roster spot to Korte, who has been the area's most productive baseball player in his four-year varsity career at Catholic Central.

This year Korte was exceptional, claiming the area "Triple Crown" -- leading the area in home runs, batting average, and RBIs.

"Stats aren't something I think a whole lot about," said Korte, who put eight balls over the outfield fences, while hitting .574 and driving in 51 runs. "My main concern is doing whatever I can to help my team win games. Putting up big numbers doesn't mean a whole lot unless you're helping your team win games."

Full Story

No comments:

Search The Chargerblue.com News and Comment

The Web Chargerblue.com News and Comment

Blog Archive

Google Analytics