From St. Louis Globe-Democrat's Super Bowl Notes
After 12 spectacular seasons with the Indianapolis Colts, and a league-high 36 consecutive seasons as an NFL offensive line coach, Howard Mudd says Super Bowl XLIV will be his final game.
"This is really it, I'm done after this game," Mudd confirmed Tuesday.
Mudd says he and his wife, Shirley, will move to their home in Washington state. "It's in the mountains. You can see a mountain out of every window."
Mudd himself leaves a mountainous legacy as an NFL player and coach.
Under his guidance, the Colts offensive line allowed a league-low 227 sacks in the last 192 games, but his versatility as a mentor also helped produce numerous 1,000-yard rushers, including Dominic Rhodes, whose 1,104 yards in 2001 was the most ever by an undrafted rookie.
Mudd, who will be 68 next Wednesday (Feb. 10), graduated from Hillsdale College (Mich.) and began his NFL career as a guard for the Francisco 49ers (1964-69) and was a three-time Pro Bowl starter (1966-68) and two-time All-NFL selection (1967-68). He was traded to the Chicago Bears in 1969 and retired as a player in 1971, his career cut short by a severe knee injury. He was named to the NFL All-Decade Team of the 1960s.
His coaching career began at University of California in 1972. In 1973 the Bears, with Steve Bartkowski at quarterback and Chuck Muncie at running back, led the nation in total offense featuring an attack that was perfectly balanced in terms of running and passing.
In 1974 Mudd began his NFL coaching career with the San Diego Chargers. He moved to San Francisco 49ers (1977), Seattle Seahawks (1978-82; 1993-97), Cleveland (1983-88) and Kansas City (1989-92).
"I have loved all of it," Mudd said. "I wouldn't change a thing. I think we made a difference everywhere we went. Yes it is probably emotional to think this will be my final game. I'm handling it right now. Maybe five minutes from now I'll walk over there and cry my eyes out. But, really, they'd be tears of joy."
Wednesday, February 03, 2010
- ► 2014 (25)
- ► 2013 (99)
- ► 2012 (133)
- ► 2011 (139)
- NFL.com: From Hillsdale College to combine star
- Scout.com: Browns GM Heckert talks about Hillsdale...
- One of the greatest days in Hillsdale Football His...
- Tracking Jared Veldheer at the Combine
- Former Hillsdale RB Jason Ross checks in from the ...
- NFL Combine Update: Jared Veldheer
- News Herald: OT was a big man on small campus
- Detroit News: Hillsdale lineman Jared Veldheer enj...
- Green Bay Press Gazette: A Hillsdale Man?
- MLive.com's Tom Kowalski on GLIAC's Jared Veldheer...
- Athlon spends the day training with Jared Veldheer...
- Sporting News: NFL Combine Schedule
- WIN BIG MONEY and help Hillsdale High Athletics
- Todd McShay Calls Jared...or Ed...Veldheer as his ...
- Rivals.com: Veldheer hopes to hear his name on dra...
- Hillsdale to host its first ever Pro Day
- Oregon DE headed East to Hillsdale
- Nate Shreffler named Hillsdale Offensive Coordinat...
- Heavy, heavy hearts surrounding a Charger brother ...
- Texas VS. The Nation in Pictures
- Former Charger Jason Ross helps US Bobsledders go ...
- BYU gives us all a lesson in sportsmanship
- Special Edition Podcast: Offseason Rundown with An...
- Loveland, Ohio Kicker Matt Eltringham headed to Hi...
- America's Greatest High School Athlete Jim Ryun to...
- Great Week for Jared Veldheer, Great Week for Hill...
- A Closer Look: Brett Miller, WR, Scottsdale Christ...
- Sporting News: Prospect Profile
- Hillsdale continues to add recruits
- Adrian QB makes Hillsdale late choice
- A Closer Look: LB Jake Weddle
- A Closer Look: WR Zach Crawford
- A Closer Look: OL Nick DeMiro
- Hillsdale Announces Initial Signing of 14 players
- Signing Day: The Waiting Game
- CBS Sports Texas Vs. Nation: Day 2 Notes
- Fort Wayne Journal Gazette: Gabe Starkey, QB, Whit...
- Sunday's Super Bowl will be Howard Mudd's Last Gam...
- Northwest's Evan Bach to sign with Hillsdale Colle...
- Cincinatti Enquirer: Loveland Tailback Commits to ...
- Texas vs. Nation gets higher profile with lower-pr...
- Physical Strong Safety Gives Hillsdale Verbal
- ▼ February (42)
- ► 2009 (279)
- ► 2008 (146)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)