Sunday, February 28, 2010
NFL.com: From Hillsdale College to combine star
INDIANAPOLIS — Two years ago, it was Pierre Garcon out of Division III Mount Union College. Last year, it was Johnny Knox out of D-II Abilene Christian. This year, could Jared Veldheer from D-II Hillsdale College be the next small-school standout to turn a sensational NFL Scouting Combine performance into a promising career?
Veldheer was one of the most impressive offensive linemen prospects to work out Saturday. He was a top performer in just about every category, and he measured in at 6-foot-8 and 312 pounds with 33-inch arms.
At the very least, Veldheer has one prominent NFL team executive on his side. Browns general manager Tom Heckert also attended Hillsdale and admitted that he had a soft spot for the mammoth offensive lineman.
“I’ve talked to his parents, actually, about the whole process,” Heckert said. “It’s an exciting time for the school. He’s a big-time player, and it’s exciting.”
Heckert said he believes Veldheer will become the first drafted player from Hillsdale since 1980. What better place for that process to start for Veldheer than the same stadium where Hillsdale’s most famous football alum, recently retired Colts offensive consultant Howard Mudd, plied his trade.
– Jason Feller
- ► 2014 (25)
- ► 2013 (99)
- ► 2012 (133)
- ► 2011 (139)
- NFL.com: From Hillsdale College to combine star
- Scout.com: Browns GM Heckert talks about Hillsdale...
- One of the greatest days in Hillsdale Football His...
- Tracking Jared Veldheer at the Combine
- Former Hillsdale RB Jason Ross checks in from the ...
- NFL Combine Update: Jared Veldheer
- News Herald: OT was a big man on small campus
- Detroit News: Hillsdale lineman Jared Veldheer enj...
- Green Bay Press Gazette: A Hillsdale Man?
- MLive.com's Tom Kowalski on GLIAC's Jared Veldheer...
- Athlon spends the day training with Jared Veldheer...
- Sporting News: NFL Combine Schedule
- WIN BIG MONEY and help Hillsdale High Athletics
- Todd McShay Calls Jared...or Ed...Veldheer as his ...
- Rivals.com: Veldheer hopes to hear his name on dra...
- Hillsdale to host its first ever Pro Day
- Oregon DE headed East to Hillsdale
- Nate Shreffler named Hillsdale Offensive Coordinat...
- Heavy, heavy hearts surrounding a Charger brother ...
- Texas VS. The Nation in Pictures
- Former Charger Jason Ross helps US Bobsledders go ...
- BYU gives us all a lesson in sportsmanship
- Special Edition Podcast: Offseason Rundown with An...
- Loveland, Ohio Kicker Matt Eltringham headed to Hi...
- America's Greatest High School Athlete Jim Ryun to...
- Great Week for Jared Veldheer, Great Week for Hill...
- A Closer Look: Brett Miller, WR, Scottsdale Christ...
- Sporting News: Prospect Profile
- Hillsdale continues to add recruits
- Adrian QB makes Hillsdale late choice
- A Closer Look: LB Jake Weddle
- A Closer Look: WR Zach Crawford
- A Closer Look: OL Nick DeMiro
- Hillsdale Announces Initial Signing of 14 players
- Signing Day: The Waiting Game
- CBS Sports Texas Vs. Nation: Day 2 Notes
- Fort Wayne Journal Gazette: Gabe Starkey, QB, Whit...
- Sunday's Super Bowl will be Howard Mudd's Last Gam...
- Northwest's Evan Bach to sign with Hillsdale Colle...
- Cincinatti Enquirer: Loveland Tailback Commits to ...
- Texas vs. Nation gets higher profile with lower-pr...
- Physical Strong Safety Gives Hillsdale Verbal
- ▼ February (42)
- ► 2009 (279)
- ► 2008 (146)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)