John Niyo / The Detroit News
Indianapolis -- Jared Veldheer plopped down in a chair, set down his backpack, and smiled.
Here he was, an offensive tackle out of tiny Hillsdale College, beginning the biggest job interview of his life at the NFL combine. And unlike some of his peers, he was in no hurry for it to end.
"I'm just taking it all in," Veldheer said. "Coming here, a lot of guys say it stresses you out or wears on you. But it hasn't been that way at all for me. I'm absolutely loving this opportunity.
"It's definitely a surreal thing to think that I'm in this position. But then once you start thinking about it, I've worked very hard to be in the position I'm in right now."
It certainly shows. Veldheer has emerged as one of the more intriguing prospects in the 2010 draft class: a raw, athletic talent who checked in Thursday at 6-foot-8 -- "and one-eighths" -- and 312 pounds. He's projected as a mid-round pick, but could move even higher with an impressive showing here.
And he's ready to do just that, vowing to finish in the top three in his position group in all of the measurable drills Saturday at Lucas Oil Stadium. He runs a sub-5.0 40-yard dash, can do 34 reps of 225 pounds in the bench press, and has been working out at D1 Sports Training in Nashville, alongside other better-known prospects like Florida quarterback Tim Tebow.
From The Detroit News: Read the rest.
Friday, February 26, 2010
- ► 2014 (25)
- ► 2013 (99)
- ► 2012 (133)
- ► 2011 (139)
- NFL.com: From Hillsdale College to combine star
- Scout.com: Browns GM Heckert talks about Hillsdale...
- One of the greatest days in Hillsdale Football His...
- Tracking Jared Veldheer at the Combine
- Former Hillsdale RB Jason Ross checks in from the ...
- NFL Combine Update: Jared Veldheer
- News Herald: OT was a big man on small campus
- Detroit News: Hillsdale lineman Jared Veldheer enj...
- Green Bay Press Gazette: A Hillsdale Man?
- MLive.com's Tom Kowalski on GLIAC's Jared Veldheer...
- Athlon spends the day training with Jared Veldheer...
- Sporting News: NFL Combine Schedule
- WIN BIG MONEY and help Hillsdale High Athletics
- Todd McShay Calls Jared...or Ed...Veldheer as his ...
- Rivals.com: Veldheer hopes to hear his name on dra...
- Hillsdale to host its first ever Pro Day
- Oregon DE headed East to Hillsdale
- Nate Shreffler named Hillsdale Offensive Coordinat...
- Heavy, heavy hearts surrounding a Charger brother ...
- Texas VS. The Nation in Pictures
- Former Charger Jason Ross helps US Bobsledders go ...
- BYU gives us all a lesson in sportsmanship
- Special Edition Podcast: Offseason Rundown with An...
- Loveland, Ohio Kicker Matt Eltringham headed to Hi...
- America's Greatest High School Athlete Jim Ryun to...
- Great Week for Jared Veldheer, Great Week for Hill...
- A Closer Look: Brett Miller, WR, Scottsdale Christ...
- Sporting News: Prospect Profile
- Hillsdale continues to add recruits
- Adrian QB makes Hillsdale late choice
- A Closer Look: LB Jake Weddle
- A Closer Look: WR Zach Crawford
- A Closer Look: OL Nick DeMiro
- Hillsdale Announces Initial Signing of 14 players
- Signing Day: The Waiting Game
- CBS Sports Texas Vs. Nation: Day 2 Notes
- Fort Wayne Journal Gazette: Gabe Starkey, QB, Whit...
- Sunday's Super Bowl will be Howard Mudd's Last Gam...
- Northwest's Evan Bach to sign with Hillsdale Colle...
- Cincinatti Enquirer: Loveland Tailback Commits to ...
- Texas vs. Nation gets higher profile with lower-pr...
- Physical Strong Safety Gives Hillsdale Verbal
- ▼ February (42)
- ► 2009 (279)
- ► 2008 (146)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)