Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Nate Shreffler named Hillsdale Offensive Coordinator, Otterbein and Nicolet join Charger staff
Hillsdale College Release
Nate Shreffler named offensive coordinator; Nicolet, Otterbein join Charger coaching staff
For the first time in nearly four years, the Hillsdale College coaching staff has undergone some changes, but there are familiar faces rejoining the program.
Offensive line coach Nate Shreffler will continue in that role, but has been promoted to the position of offensive coordinator. Shreffler, entering his 11th season on the staff , takes the place of Barry Fagan, who resigned to accept the head coaching spot at Ave Maria University, an NAIA school in Florida that will begin play in the 2011 season.
Shreffler, who played at Hillsdale College from 1989-1993, joined the program’s coaching staff at the beginning of the 2000 season. Since then, he has skillfully guided the offensive line and has coached two players who have played in postseason All-Star games: Silas Johnson (2003 Cactus Bowl) and recent All-American Jared Veldheer (2010 Texas vs. Th e Nation Game). Shreffler is the longest tenured coach on the football staff.
Two Charger football alumns will also join the staff for the 2010 season. Steve Otterbein, who played at Hillsdale from 2002-06, is coaching the team’s wide receivers. After graduation, Otterbein spent three seasons as a graduate assistant at Eastern Michigan University, where he was involved in all aspects of the program’s operation. Otterbein is the oldest son of head coach Keith Otterbein.
Mark Nicolet, a quarterback for the Chargers from 2004-07, will become the team’s new quarterbacks coach starting this fall. Nicolet was the 2007 GLIAC Player of the Year and shattered many single-season and career school records at the position. He was also named All-American by Don Hansen’s Football Gazette, was the MVP of the 2008 Cactus Bowl, and was the GLIAC Scholar-Athlete of the Year for the 2007-08 academic year. Nicolet is currently competing in his third season of professional football, for the Barcelona Pioners in Spain.
Aaron Shreffler, the team’s defensive line coach, will inherit the duties of strength and conditioning coach from his older brother.
Hillsdale will open the 2010 season under the lights, on Friday, September 3 when it hosts Ferris State for a 7 p.m. kickoff.
- ► 2014 (25)
- ► 2013 (99)
- ► 2012 (133)
- ► 2011 (139)
- NFL.com: From Hillsdale College to combine star
- Scout.com: Browns GM Heckert talks about Hillsdale...
- One of the greatest days in Hillsdale Football His...
- Tracking Jared Veldheer at the Combine
- Former Hillsdale RB Jason Ross checks in from the ...
- NFL Combine Update: Jared Veldheer
- News Herald: OT was a big man on small campus
- Detroit News: Hillsdale lineman Jared Veldheer enj...
- Green Bay Press Gazette: A Hillsdale Man?
- MLive.com's Tom Kowalski on GLIAC's Jared Veldheer...
- Athlon spends the day training with Jared Veldheer...
- Sporting News: NFL Combine Schedule
- WIN BIG MONEY and help Hillsdale High Athletics
- Todd McShay Calls Jared...or Ed...Veldheer as his ...
- Rivals.com: Veldheer hopes to hear his name on dra...
- Hillsdale to host its first ever Pro Day
- Oregon DE headed East to Hillsdale
- Nate Shreffler named Hillsdale Offensive Coordinat...
- Heavy, heavy hearts surrounding a Charger brother ...
- Texas VS. The Nation in Pictures
- Former Charger Jason Ross helps US Bobsledders go ...
- BYU gives us all a lesson in sportsmanship
- Special Edition Podcast: Offseason Rundown with An...
- Loveland, Ohio Kicker Matt Eltringham headed to Hi...
- America's Greatest High School Athlete Jim Ryun to...
- Great Week for Jared Veldheer, Great Week for Hill...
- A Closer Look: Brett Miller, WR, Scottsdale Christ...
- Sporting News: Prospect Profile
- Hillsdale continues to add recruits
- Adrian QB makes Hillsdale late choice
- A Closer Look: LB Jake Weddle
- A Closer Look: WR Zach Crawford
- A Closer Look: OL Nick DeMiro
- Hillsdale Announces Initial Signing of 14 players
- Signing Day: The Waiting Game
- CBS Sports Texas Vs. Nation: Day 2 Notes
- Fort Wayne Journal Gazette: Gabe Starkey, QB, Whit...
- Sunday's Super Bowl will be Howard Mudd's Last Gam...
- Northwest's Evan Bach to sign with Hillsdale Colle...
- Cincinatti Enquirer: Loveland Tailback Commits to ...
- Texas vs. Nation gets higher profile with lower-pr...
- Physical Strong Safety Gives Hillsdale Verbal
- ▼ February (42)
- ► 2009 (279)
- ► 2008 (146)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)