Hillsdale Football Play-by-Play
WCSR Radio and Special to Chargerblue.com
The Chargers defeated Ferris State 34-14 at homecoming on the hill Saturday afternoon.
Ferris State is a mere shadow of the team that had defeated the Chargers four straight times coming in to the game. Their starting quarterback played only one series. Then their first backup played one series. They ended up sticking with a young man who in the program is listed as QB/K---translated---the bottom of the depth chart. In the end, quarterback C.J. Van Wieren was the least of Ferris' problems. Their total inability to stop the Chargers' running game was the real problem for Ferris, and the reason why Hillsdale has something to build on after this game.
Phil Martin and Aaron Scholl both ran for over 100 yards, and Chargers runners averaged over 5 yards per carry in the game. Phil Martin made big plays in the first half to put the Chargers on top, and Brett Neller did a nice job of spelling him in the second half. I think Martin's ankle is still hurting him, but he will never admit it.
As for Aaron Scholl, he made plays to help Hillsdale win, and he didn't turn the ball over. He finished with 116 yards rushing. Passing he was 10 of 23 for 100 yards and 1 touchdown. He did take some shots downplayed this week, especially on the very first play of the game on a nifty fake reverse pass. Unfortunately, Scholl missed on that pass, and frankly, several others. However, he won the game and deserves credit for turning bad situations into big gains with his running ability.
How about those Gurica brothers? In addition to shutting down Carleton Brewster for most of the game, Chad Gurica had a 39-yard kickoff return. His little brother Nick Gurica had a 60-yard punt return that set up a Chargers touchdown. The Guricas are playmakers and I love to watch them play.
I am glad that the Chargers showed up to play Saturday. We had an excellent crowd, it was a beautiful day on a beautiful new football field, and for one day, it was great to be a Chargers football fan. Of course, after the halftime festivities, which were partly broken up by a faulty wireless microphone, about half of the students left the game. You know when the girls are showing up in evening gowns, sorority regalia, and summer dresses that there is more than football on the afternoon agenda. Alas, it has been this way ever since I can remember. Once the Chargers put a consistent winner on the field, I'll bet at least some of the Kappas will stick around for the second half.
Bright Spots: The Guricas!, The New Field, Getting a Win
Needs Some Work: The wireless microphone, the body paint on some of the Independent "fraternity" guys.
Next week go to Erie, PA to battle the Golden Knights of Gannon. We should get our first road win of the season and square our record at 2-2. Dan Bisher and I will be on the air at 6:45. You can listen live on WCSR 92.1 or at www.hillsale.edu.
- ► 2014 (25)
- ► 2013 (99)
- ► 2012 (133)
- ► 2011 (139)
- ► 2010 (290)
- ► 2009 (279)
- ► 2008 (146)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- Hillsdale Takes on Northwood, Noon, Sat. Oct. 1
- Scholl Breaks Fibula, Chargers Seek New QB
- D2Football.com :: Week 6 Northwest Region Notebook...
- Charger Parents :: Northwood Tailgating Info
- Saginaw Soars past Hillsdale 24-3
- Charger Defensive Effort Overshadow
- SVSU's defense dominates Hillsdale
- More Charger Pictures Online
- Confident Cardinals Bring #9 Ranking to The Dale
- Charger Parents::Saginaw Valley Tailgating Info
- D2Football.com::Northwest Region Notebook
- Great Job Otter's Army and Charger Fans!
- Shreffler Family Update
- Oops:Hillsdale's Chad Gurica 3rd in NCAA
- Hillsdale routs Gannon on the road, 43-9
- D2Football.com::Northwest Region Notebook
- Luck be a Lady This Week::Chargers Head to Gannon
- Charger Parents:Gannon Tailgating Info
- Special Thanks from Gridiron Club
- Chargers beat Bulldogs in 2005 Homecoming game
- Homecoming Victory!
- Commentary: AD Kovalchik Takes Spirit out of the G...
- Chargers set to Battle Bulldogs
- Homecoming Festivities Load Saturday
- D2Football.com::Week 3 NW Region Notebook
- Week 2 Players of the Week
- David Harman Memorial Scholarship Ceremony set for...
- Searching for an Identity
- A Tale of 2 Halves: Chargers Drop Another
- Live WCSR Feed Now Available
- Otterbein eyes first win over Findlay
- Week 2 :: Hillsdale Travels to Findlay
- D2football.com: Top 25 Poll
- D2Football.com :: Week 2 Northwest Region Notebook...
- Charger Parents :: Findlay Tailgating Info
- ▼ September (35)