Friday, September 11, 2009
Midland Daily News: Timberwolves face dangerous Hillsdale team
Timberwolves face dangerous Hillsdale team
By Fred Kelly
of the Daily News
Published: Friday, September 11, 2009 11:38 AM EDT
As exciting as Northwood’s last-minute win over Northern Michigan was last Saturday, Timberwolves’ coach Mike Sullivan had already put the game out of his mind by the start of this week.
With Hillsdale coming to town this Saturday for a noon GLIAC football match-up, Sullivan has enough to think about as it is.
“That (Northern Michigan) game is behind us now. Now, it’s on to the next game,” said Sullivan, whose Timberwolves edged NMU 23-21 last week on Pat Sijan’s 41-yard field goal with 14 seconds left.
Sullivan added that his team has a little extra zip in its step during practice this week. At the same time, the Timberwolves have plenty of room for improvement, he said.
“There’s an atmosphere of excitement (among the team) with the fact that we’re 1-0, but we need to work to get to 2-0,” he noted. “We’ll focus on what we can do to make ourselves better at every single position on the field and how we can take a step forward.”
NU’s defense, which kept the Timberwolves in the game early against Northern but allowed a 17-point second-half lead to slip away, will be tested again by a Hillsdale offense which has been putting up big numbers through the air.
The Chargers come into Saturday at 2-0 overall and 1-0 in the GLIAC after beating St. Joseph’s 37-7 in week one, then edging Michigan Tech 37-35 last Saturday in their conference opener.
In those two games, Hillsdale averaged over 309 yards passing and over 452 yards of total offense.
“They’ve got a strong wide receiver (junior Andre Holmes), and their quarterback (junior Troy Weatherhead) does a nice job of getting him the ball. They also like to use the tight end (senior Matt Patillo) in the passing game,” Sullivan said.
“They’ve got a nice scheme offensively. They run the ball (to set up the pass), and they’re able to hit on play-action, and they’ll spread you out a little bit, also,” Sullivan added. “They’re able to move the ball around and put it in the air.”
AJ Kegg photo courtesy of Pete Mowry and SportsbyPete.com
- ► 2014 (25)
- ► 2013 (99)
- ► 2012 (133)
- ► 2011 (139)
- ► 2010 (290)
- D2football.com's Bob Eblen Talks Private Schools i...
- The Word for Today is "Enthusiasm".
- All 4 Charger Fall Sports Nationally Ranked
- Chargers Crack AFCA Top 25
- Hillsdale's Vinnie Panizzi named GLIAC Player of t...
- Hillsdale.edu: Chargers Run Over Eagles
- Hillsdale beats #12 Ashland 38 to 19
- Gameday Weather: Ashland, OH
- Collegian: Tall man, big shoes, high aspirations
- Week 5 Podcast: #15 Ashland, Lose yourself in the ...
- Collegian: Spirit club revamped entering the fall
- History found in the Collegian Archives: Name Chan...
- Football Reunion and Alumi Game Updates
- Ashland Times Gazette: Eagles ready for tough game...
- D2football.com: Weekly Top 25 Media Poll
- Hillsdale's NCAA Division II and GLIAC Football Ra...
- Hillsdale's Mark Petro Leads Nation in Field Goal ...
- Chargers Take the Field
- Petro Named GLIAC Special Teams Player of the Week...
- D2football.com's Tony Nicolette's Knows how to Cal...
- Hillsdale.edu: Blackout Shutout, Hillsdale 23 UInd...
- D2football.com: Tony Nicolette's Weekly Column (Po...
- Fire up the Nanos, Podcast is up for week 4
- Collegian: Cheerleading to return by basketball se...
- FOOTBALL PREVIEW: Night moves - Hillsdale College ...
- Defense will determine outcome of Hillsdale footba...
- Hillsdale.edu: Northwood Upends Chargers 38-37
- Midland Daily News: Timberwolves face dangerous Hi...
- The GLIAC Measuring Stick will be in Full Use this...
- Week 3 Podcast Now Online...Take 4
- Hillsdale.edu: Hillsdale seeks 3-0 start on the ro...
- Weatherhead Wins GLIAC Offensive Player of the Wee...
- AFCA NCAA Division II Weekly Poll
- MLive.com: Aggressive play-calling pays off as Hil...
- Otter picks up 100th career victory
- Hillsdale vs. Michigan Tech, a few numbers
- Hillsdale.edu: Chargers win home opener in offensi...
- Week 2 Podcast, Otter on the Huskies
- Detroit News: GLIAC Foes Take Aim at King
- D2football.com: Tony Nicolette Breaks down HC - MT...
- Michigan Tech Preview from Hillsdale.edu
- ▼ September (41)
- ► 2008 (146)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)