Chargers win home opener in offensive battle with Michigan Tech
Head Coach Keith Otterbein earns 100th win
Hillsdale College Release
Today’s GLIAC matchup featured two of the most powerful offenses in league as the Hillsdale College Chargers defeated the Huskies of Michigan Tech 37-35.
The win today was a milestone for head coach Keith Otterbein picking up his 100th career victory as a head coach.
The Chargers are now 1-0 in the GLIAC while the Huskies fall to 0-1.
Michigan Tech took advantage of their first possession, moving the ball 69 yards on 11 plays. Quarterback Steve Short found Bobby Slowik in the end zone on a 29-yard pass for the first score of the game.
The Charger offense, picking up where it left off last week, opened the day with a scoring drive of their own. Senior Vinnie Pannizi gave the Chargers good starting field position returning the Michigan Tech kick to the 40-yard line.
Weatherhead found Senior AJ Kegg on third down of the opening series for a 19-yard gain to extend the drive. After a seven yard rush by Panizzi and a 12 yard reception by Junior Mike Blanchard, Weatherhead found Andre Holmes in the end zone to tie the game at 7-7.
Hillsdale picked up a 20-yard field goal thanks to the leg of Mark Petro, before the Chargers and Huskies traded touchdowns to make the score 17-14.
Petro added a second field goal, this time from 24-yards, to close out the half.
Hillsdale and Michigan Tech would trade scores during the second half, but Hillsdale never relinquished the lead.
Saturday, September 05, 2009
- ► 2014 (25)
- ► 2013 (99)
- ► 2012 (133)
- ► 2011 (139)
- ► 2010 (290)
- D2football.com's Bob Eblen Talks Private Schools i...
- The Word for Today is "Enthusiasm".
- All 4 Charger Fall Sports Nationally Ranked
- Chargers Crack AFCA Top 25
- Hillsdale's Vinnie Panizzi named GLIAC Player of t...
- Hillsdale.edu: Chargers Run Over Eagles
- Hillsdale beats #12 Ashland 38 to 19
- Gameday Weather: Ashland, OH
- Collegian: Tall man, big shoes, high aspirations
- Week 5 Podcast: #15 Ashland, Lose yourself in the ...
- Collegian: Spirit club revamped entering the fall
- History found in the Collegian Archives: Name Chan...
- Football Reunion and Alumi Game Updates
- Ashland Times Gazette: Eagles ready for tough game...
- D2football.com: Weekly Top 25 Media Poll
- Hillsdale's NCAA Division II and GLIAC Football Ra...
- Hillsdale's Mark Petro Leads Nation in Field Goal ...
- Chargers Take the Field
- Petro Named GLIAC Special Teams Player of the Week...
- D2football.com's Tony Nicolette's Knows how to Cal...
- Hillsdale.edu: Blackout Shutout, Hillsdale 23 UInd...
- D2football.com: Tony Nicolette's Weekly Column (Po...
- Fire up the Nanos, Podcast is up for week 4
- Collegian: Cheerleading to return by basketball se...
- FOOTBALL PREVIEW: Night moves - Hillsdale College ...
- Defense will determine outcome of Hillsdale footba...
- Hillsdale.edu: Northwood Upends Chargers 38-37
- Midland Daily News: Timberwolves face dangerous Hi...
- The GLIAC Measuring Stick will be in Full Use this...
- Week 3 Podcast Now Online...Take 4
- Hillsdale.edu: Hillsdale seeks 3-0 start on the ro...
- Weatherhead Wins GLIAC Offensive Player of the Wee...
- AFCA NCAA Division II Weekly Poll
- MLive.com: Aggressive play-calling pays off as Hil...
- Otter picks up 100th career victory
- Hillsdale vs. Michigan Tech, a few numbers
- Hillsdale.edu: Chargers win home opener in offensi...
- Week 2 Podcast, Otter on the Huskies
- Detroit News: GLIAC Foes Take Aim at King
- D2football.com: Tony Nicolette Breaks down HC - MT...
- Michigan Tech Preview from Hillsdale.edu
- ▼ September (41)
- ► 2008 (146)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)