Thursday, September 17, 2009
FOOTBALL PREVIEW: Night moves - Hillsdale College football team plays first home night game in three years Saturday vs. Greyhounds
Photo by Pete Mowry, Sportsbypete.com
Sept. 16, 2009 - The lights will be on at Frank “Muddy” Waters Stadium this weekend, as the Hillsdale College football team welcomes its GLIAC rivals, the University of Indianapolis Greyhounds for a 7 p.m. Saturday kickoff.
The game is the first night start at Hillsdale since Sept. 23, 2006, a span of nearly three years. In that contest, the Chargers edged Ferris State 29-27 in a game played three days after the passing of Frank "Muddy" Waters.
This game features the top two passing attacks in the conference, and matches up two teams looking to rebound from tough losses last week.
Hillsdale (2-1 overall, 1-1 GLIAC) lost a 38-37 heartbreaker to Northwood University on Sept. 12. Although it was the fourth game in a row the Chargers have scored exactly 37 points, the Timberwolves got a couple of key defensive stops late in the game that helped them escape with the victory. In that game, Hillsdale’s off ense generated 30 first downs and 455 yards of total off ense, but it was not enough to wrap up a win.
Indianapolis is coming off a 27-23 loss at home to Wayne State University last week. In that contest, the Greyhounds held a 17-12 lead at halftime, but were victimized by a Joique Bell touchdown run and a 90-yard kickoff return for a score by Josh Renel in the third quarter that ultimately proved to be the difference in the game.
In short, both teams believe they should be coming off wins instead of losses, making this game carry a little extra importance, not that this rivalry needed any more spice.
The Chargers and Greyhounds have had some memorable clashes on the gridiron in recent years, and one of them was a night start at Hillsdale five years ago.
In that game, the two teams combined to set several records and create a lot of memories in a 49-43 Chargers win on Aug. 28, 2004. That game went on for four overtimes and was the signature win in Hillsdale College head coach Keith Otterbein’s first three seasons as coach of the Chargers.
- ► 2014 (25)
- ► 2013 (99)
- ► 2012 (133)
- ► 2011 (139)
- ► 2010 (290)
- D2football.com's Bob Eblen Talks Private Schools i...
- The Word for Today is "Enthusiasm".
- All 4 Charger Fall Sports Nationally Ranked
- Chargers Crack AFCA Top 25
- Hillsdale's Vinnie Panizzi named GLIAC Player of t...
- Hillsdale.edu: Chargers Run Over Eagles
- Hillsdale beats #12 Ashland 38 to 19
- Gameday Weather: Ashland, OH
- Collegian: Tall man, big shoes, high aspirations
- Week 5 Podcast: #15 Ashland, Lose yourself in the ...
- Collegian: Spirit club revamped entering the fall
- History found in the Collegian Archives: Name Chan...
- Football Reunion and Alumi Game Updates
- Ashland Times Gazette: Eagles ready for tough game...
- D2football.com: Weekly Top 25 Media Poll
- Hillsdale's NCAA Division II and GLIAC Football Ra...
- Hillsdale's Mark Petro Leads Nation in Field Goal ...
- Chargers Take the Field
- Petro Named GLIAC Special Teams Player of the Week...
- D2football.com's Tony Nicolette's Knows how to Cal...
- Hillsdale.edu: Blackout Shutout, Hillsdale 23 UInd...
- D2football.com: Tony Nicolette's Weekly Column (Po...
- Fire up the Nanos, Podcast is up for week 4
- Collegian: Cheerleading to return by basketball se...
- FOOTBALL PREVIEW: Night moves - Hillsdale College ...
- Defense will determine outcome of Hillsdale footba...
- Hillsdale.edu: Northwood Upends Chargers 38-37
- Midland Daily News: Timberwolves face dangerous Hi...
- The GLIAC Measuring Stick will be in Full Use this...
- Week 3 Podcast Now Online...Take 4
- Hillsdale.edu: Hillsdale seeks 3-0 start on the ro...
- Weatherhead Wins GLIAC Offensive Player of the Wee...
- AFCA NCAA Division II Weekly Poll
- MLive.com: Aggressive play-calling pays off as Hil...
- Otter picks up 100th career victory
- Hillsdale vs. Michigan Tech, a few numbers
- Hillsdale.edu: Chargers win home opener in offensi...
- Week 2 Podcast, Otter on the Huskies
- Detroit News: GLIAC Foes Take Aim at King
- D2football.com: Tony Nicolette Breaks down HC - MT...
- Michigan Tech Preview from Hillsdale.edu
- ▼ September (41)
- ► 2008 (146)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)