Official Release from Hillsdale College
A wild third-quarter sequence doomed the Hillsdale College football team in its GLIAC opener Saturday afternoon.
Ohio Dominican University scored a safety, then followed that up with a 39-yard touchdown run three plays later to provide the decisive sequence in a 37-20 win over the Chargers at Panther Field in Columbus, Ohio. The Chargers fall to 0-2 overall and 0-1 in the GLIAC with the loss. Hillsdale returns to Ohio next weekend, taking on Malone University at 2 p.m. Saturday in Canton.
The back-to-back scores by Ohio Dominican was just part of a 29-point third quarter that turned what started out as a defensive struggle into a wild shootout. ODU broke open a 14-14 game with 16 points in less than two minutes to pull away from the Chargers.
Hillsdale tied the game 14-14 early in the third quarter when senior quarterback Sam Landry connected with senior wide receiver Evan Sassack for their second scoring pass of the game. But the final 3:42 of the third quarter proved to be fatal for Hillsdale.
After the 39-yard run by ODU's Brandon Schoen, the Panthers forced a fumble at the Hillsdale 2-yard-line and pounced on the loose ball for another score.
Just 44 seconds later, the Chargers pulled back within 10 when Landry hit Evan Bach on a 58-yard touchdown pass to make the score 30-20. But the Panthers answered early in the fourth with a big play of their own, a 65-yard touchdown pass, to wrap up the scoring.
Rest of the story
Monday, September 16, 2013
- ► 2014 (25)
- Indy chokes out Hillsdale's homecoming comeback at...
- It's Homecoming Week. It's Indianapolis. Brad Otte...
- Genna Hilgenbrink talks to WR Scott Lantis
- A few thoughts on Hillsdale's win over Malone
- HillsdaleChargers.com: Hillsdale Pounces on Malone...
- Charger Comment: Week 3
- HillsdaleChargers.com: Big plays in 3rd quarter si...
- Hillsdale versus Ohio Dominican Free Video Webcast...
- Charger Comment: Week 2
- Ferris makes crazy claim it has top D2 recruiting ...
- Patrick Heckenlively shares Charger Pics
- Hillsdale comes up short to Cal in opener
- Get your blue on!
- HillsdaleChargers.com: Week 1 Preview and Essentia...
- Timeless words from 1907 edition of the Hillsdale ...
- Recovery Complete: Cam White is ready to play on S...
- WCSR Radio: 4th Annual Charger Football Roundtable...
- HilllsdaleChargers.com: Week 1 Football Update wit...
- D2football.com Preseason Top 25 Poll
- Chargers and Vulcans both replace a lot
- ▼ September (20)
- ► 2012 (133)
- ► 2011 (139)
- ► 2010 (290)
- ► 2009 (279)
- ► 2008 (146)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)