With three seconds to play Hillsdale's Steven Mette's 48 yard field goal attempt sailed wide left and so did the Chargers' attempt at forcing overtime, dropping their season opener 22-19 to CAL U of Pennsylvania.
Hillsdale dominated the first half defensively and led 13-0 at halftime on two Mette field goals (43 and 28 yards) and a Sam Landry to Evan Bach touchdown of 28 yards.
Cal U also blocked a pair of Hillsdale field goal attempts from 33 and 50. It doesn't take a math major to know that if either had connected we may have at least seen overtime.
The Vulcans made adjustments in their passing game and picked Hillsdale apart on two scoring drives to make it 14-13 with 6:52 left in the game.
The Chargers responded quickly to regain the lead 19-14. Landry found Bach on a 39 yard gain he took to the 1 and Isaac Spence punched in a play later. The two point conversion failed.
Charger defensive back Daniel Pittman looked like the game's hero for a few moments as he stopped Cal's next possession with an interception, handing the ball back to the Hillsdale offense with 4 minutes and change.
Hillsdale needed a couple of first downs and some good clock management to put it on ice but the Chargers went nowhere but back. Two crucial penalties derailed the striking of the dagger. Cal U would drive 80 yards for what eventually proved to be the game winning score.
Landry would get Hillsdale as close as the Cal 31 before the field goal attempt but it was too little too late.
Hillsdale did a lot of great things in the ballgame. They won the turnover battle and Landry was pretty spectacular in his first game as a starter going 26/42 for 359 yards and a score. The defense held Cal to 31 rushing yards on 28 attempts and picked up a pair each of sacks and interceptions. It's just too bad Team 121 couldn't finish tonight.
Hillsdale opens the GLIAC schedule next week at Ohio Dominican at noon.
Saturday, September 07, 2013
- ► 2014 (25)
- Indy chokes out Hillsdale's homecoming comeback at...
- It's Homecoming Week. It's Indianapolis. Brad Otte...
- Genna Hilgenbrink talks to WR Scott Lantis
- A few thoughts on Hillsdale's win over Malone
- HillsdaleChargers.com: Hillsdale Pounces on Malone...
- Charger Comment: Week 3
- HillsdaleChargers.com: Big plays in 3rd quarter si...
- Hillsdale versus Ohio Dominican Free Video Webcast...
- Charger Comment: Week 2
- Ferris makes crazy claim it has top D2 recruiting ...
- Patrick Heckenlively shares Charger Pics
- Hillsdale comes up short to Cal in opener
- Get your blue on!
- HillsdaleChargers.com: Week 1 Preview and Essentia...
- Timeless words from 1907 edition of the Hillsdale ...
- Recovery Complete: Cam White is ready to play on S...
- WCSR Radio: 4th Annual Charger Football Roundtable...
- HilllsdaleChargers.com: Week 1 Football Update wit...
- D2football.com Preseason Top 25 Poll
- Chargers and Vulcans both replace a lot
- ▼ September (20)
- ► 2012 (133)
- ► 2011 (139)
- ► 2010 (290)
- ► 2009 (279)
- ► 2008 (146)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)