Chargers close out 2008 football season with thrilling 37-36 win at Tiffin
November 8, 2008 - In the last game of the 2008 season, there were enough thrills, big plays and tense moments to fill an entire season. But it was a game, and a season, that ended on a positive note for the Hillsdale College football team.
The Chargers wrapped up the season with a 37-36 win over Tiffin University on the road Saturday afternoon. Hillsdale College finishes the 2008 season with an overall record of 7-4, and 6-4 in the GLIAC. The Dragons finished their first season in the GLIAC with a 1-10 record.
After building a 30-7 lead by halftime, Hillsdale watched Tiffin’s explosive offense storm back to eventually take a 36-30 lead with 2:35 left to play. But Hillsdale’s offense had one last drive left in it, and it cashed in at the most crucial time.
Sophomore quarterback Troy Weatherhead found junior wide receiver A.J. Kegg in the back of the end zone for a beautiful pass and catch for the game-winning score with 1:26 left in the game. Weatherhead guided the Chargers 66 yards down the field in just five plays and 63 seconds for the winning drive.
Tiffin got the ball back with 1:20 left in the game. But junior defensive end Drew Berube sacked Dragons’ QB Matt Root, forced a fumble, and recovered the fumble with 55 seconds left to seal the win. The play capped an outstanding game for Berube, the reigning GLIAC Defensive Player of the Week.
Berube finished the game with seven total tackles, 3 1/2 sacks and 4 1/2 tackles for loss, in addition to his forced fumble and fumble recovery.He was a disruptive force the entire game for the defense.
Weatherhead notched career-highs in completions (28), attempts (43) and passing yards (360) in the game. He threw touchdown passes to Kegg (2) and tight end Matt Patillo in the game. Weatherhead finished the season with 2,874 passing yards, the second-most in a single season in school history, and set a school record with 242 completions this season. He beat Mark Nicolet’s school record for completions in a season - 240 in 2007 - by two.
Saturday, November 08, 2008
- ► 2014 (25)
- ► 2013 (99)
- ► 2012 (133)
- ► 2011 (139)
- ► 2010 (290)
- ► 2009 (279)
- Send Condolences to GVSU's Skuta via Facebook
- 2008 Commemorative DVD Now Available for Purchase
- November 14th Podcast: Weatherhead Looks Back
- Official Release: 14 players receive All-GLIAC hon...
- 14 Chargers named All-Conference
- Waldie's Record Breaking Catch
- Tom Korte Named 2008 MVP
- Hillsdale Release: Chargers close out 2008 footbal...
- Chargers Hold off Tiffin, win finale
- Week 11 Podcast: Your Tiffin Pregame Show
- D2football.com: Tony Nicolette's Weekly Column
- HC Preview: Tiffin
- Berube is GLIAC Defensive POW
- Waldie becomes All-Time Hillsdale Touchdown Leader...
- Kegg's 66 catches move him to #2 on all-time singl...
- So this Weatherhead kid....you think he might be o...
- Chargers beat Ferris 34-14
- D2football.com: Tony Nicolette's Weekly Column, Ja...
- ▼ November (18)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)