Tradition • Character • Service

Tradition • Character • Service

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Another Hornet Becomes a Charger


Caulkins to continue football career at Hillsdale College


RJ Walters, Sports Writer, Hillsdale Daily News
517.437.6022



In what is becoming somewhat of a trend, another Hornet will now down the blue–and–white for years to come.
Advertisement

On Wednesday, Hillsdale High senior Kyle Caulkins committed to play football at Hillsdale College.

Caulkins started on the defensive and offensive lines for Hillsdale this past year and Hillsdale College head coach Keith Otterbein is excited to add the 6–foot–3, 217 pounder to the mix.

“He’s very similar to (Charger junior) Eric Weber coming out of high school and if we can get him to 240 pounds that will be a big change for him,” he said. “He plays really hard and he fits in perfectly with our guys, which is the icing on the cake for us.”

Otterbein has him slotted at defensive end and said that he will likely redshirt Caulkins, but that has yet to be finalized.

Caulkins said the idea of redshirting doesn’t bother him the least, if that’s what the coaches think is best.

“I could certainly see how it would be beneficial to me and I completely trust the coaches will do whatever is smartest in the long run and I’m just excited to be a part of the program,” he said.

Caulkins also seriously considered Michigan Tech and Butler (Ind.), but ultimately realzied he wanted to experience the Hillsdale College community.

“At first I did kind of have the attitude that I wanted to get out of Hillsdale, but after I toured the campus and talked to some friends there I realized it has a lot to offern and is a whole different community,” he said. “It will be a lot easier for my parents I think since I’m sticking around, but I will be living on campus so I will get the whole college experience.”

Otterbein said he watched Caulkins progress the last few years and knows he’s getting a hard worker who has been coached by a very good staff.

While Caulkins didn’t receive any financial aid from the athletic department, he is receiving some for academics and he is pursuing a biology degree with the possibility of going into pre–med later.

“I’m excited because I know Otterbein is the type of coach who really cares about each individual and I want to be a part of the success the program is having right now,” Caulkins said.

Caulkins will join former Hillsdale High School stars Brad Otterbein, Joe Vear, Miuke Blanchard, Nate English and Gage Frosch on the Charger squad.

No comments:

Search The Chargerblue.com News and Comment

The Web Chargerblue.com News and Comment

Blog Archive

Google Analytics