It is 18 hours since I learned Hillsdale had been passed over the NCAA regional selection committee and I still can't believe the Chargers will be sitting at home next Saturday...outright conference champs of the GLIAC.
There lies the biggest head-scratcher. The notion that outright champ doesn't mean automatic qualifier. Realizing that has no bearing on selection goes against what most of see as one of the many engrained fibers of sports.
One of the major inconsistencies is that the NCAA gives automatic berths in all but
D2. Heck the NAIA does it. FCS and D3 have automatic qualifying bids.
D2 is essentially the only one and we just can't wrap our heads around
something that is ALMOST universal. ALMOST.
qualifying has been engrained in us thanks to that final weekend of NCAA
basketball before the tournament. We see Northern Arizona and Santa
Clara win and punch their tickets. It is everywhere and it makes sense
to us...because it just makes sense.
Division II has out-thought
itself here. All of the math formulas may have looked great on a chalk
board but when it comes to real people and getting the best teams on the
field at the end of the year it falls way short. It reminds me of zero
tolerance laws where the best of intended formulas ends up short of the
eye test...the common sense test. I have long felt that one of the flaws
of the NCAA is that it is run by a bunch of egg-heads. Mathematicians
and Social Scientists with too much time on their hands do way too much
tinkering and attempt to achieve some crazy utopian model within the
framework of college sports.
I said a couple of weeks ago that I would take a conference title over a trip to the playoffs. I meant it. That was also when there was a 5 way tie at the top of the league. I guess in the end I will still make that bargain, although it is my only choice. Winning this league, and being lucky enough to be outright champions is a huge accomplishment considering 11 weeks ago we didn't know who our quarterback was going to be and that we only lose a handful of seniors.
Charger fans are lighting up the D2football.com Message Boards in rage...and I feel that rage. I would really feel it if I just saw my son's football career end at the keystroke of a regional committee.
This process is broken because it tries to do everything with numbers. Football isn't a numbers game. It is a people game.
There is nothing more we can do Charger Nation about who plays on Saturday, Week 12 of 2011. There is a lot that can be done about Week 12, 2012 though. I hope our guys take this snub and remember how it feels every time they strap on their running shoes or pick up a weight and turn it into fuel for next season. Learn from this Chargers. We can't let any Saturday be less than our best. Don't give the committee and the math problems any chance to keep us out of the playoffs next year.
Come to think of it, I hope we don't play on Week 12 next year either. I hope we are all sitting at home watching the first round, waiting to see who comes to Muddy Waters Stadium to face the top seed in the region.
Charge on my Blue and White faithful.
Monday, November 14, 2011
- ► 2014 (25)
- ► 2013 (99)
- ► 2012 (133)
- Glendening named Regional Player of the Year
- YouTube: Joe Glendening - Harlon Hill Trophy Final...
- MLive.com: Hillsdale running back Joe Glendening n...
- Joe Glendening is National Finalist for Harlon Hil...
- Who do you want on your team, Jared Veldheer or De...
- Washington Post: Veldheer relishing chance to face...
- WZZM13 Video: Joe 'The Show' Glendening named GLIA...
- Glendening is GLIAC Player of the Year - Otter get...
- 2011 Hillsdale College Football Team Award Winners...
- Blue Charger...trying to wrap my head around NCAA ...
- Hillsdale season ends. Chargers left out of playof...
- Hillsdale to learn football playoff fate at 5:00 P...
- Hillsdale beats Tiffin for GLIAC Title, Record sha...
- Hillsdale's Joe the Show is one of 22 regional fin...
- Three Chargers get invites to inaugural D2 vs. NAI...
- Glendening needs ho-hum day at Tiffin to etch two ...
- YouTube: Hillsdale's David Bakker sack at Findlay
- Super Region 3 Shakeup
- Big Weekend of GLIAC Football on Tap
- HDN's Ryan Czachorski reports on Glendening's Stat...
- ▼ November (20)
- ► 2010 (290)
- ► 2009 (279)
- ► 2008 (146)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)