Excerpt from Hillsdale College Release
Mike Gatt, M.D., was the quarterback behind Hillsdale’s 1985 NAIA national championship team and at the time of his graduation, holder of most passing records in school history. His 2,664 passing yards, 201 completions and 355 pass attempts were all single-season records that stood for 22 years.
He was a three-year starter for the Chargers and was named Academic All-American in 1984 and 1985. He was also the senior class president and was honored as the Senior Man of the Year.
Gatt was named NAIA All-American following that 1985 season, when he threw 25 touchdown passes. After graduating, Gatt earned his M.D. from Michigan State University in 1990 and served his residency at Providence Hospital in Southfield, Michigan. He is currently the chairman of the OB/GYN department at St. Mary Hospital in Livonia. He and his wife Maureen, also a Hillsdale College graduate, have four children: Meredith, Nickolas, Mitchell and Carson.
Jim Eckhardt has been a fixture at Hillsdale College sporting events for more than 20 years, and has handled color commentary for close to 1,000 football and basketball games in his career through his work with WCSR 92.1-FM in Hillsdale. A lively and energetic personality, Eckhardt lends a wonderfully lighthearted, but informed touch to all of his broadcasts.
He called his first Charger football game in 1975, and has approached every game since then with the same passion and love that have made him synonymous with Charger athletics. A former registered game official and father of a Hillsdale College alumn, Jim has also been a valued contributor and consultant to the Hillsdale College athletic department through the years. He has served on several coaching search committees and has been an important part of the Charger Club, actively involved in fundraising efforts for the department.
Monday, December 14, 2009
- ► 2014 (25)
- ► 2013 (99)
- ► 2012 (133)
- ► 2011 (139)
- ► 2010 (290)
- Jared Veldheer's drive to the NFL draft picking up...
- WOOD TV: Grand Valley's Chuck Martin leaving for N...
- Real GM Football: Jeff Risdon's take on Hillsdale'...
- Veldheer Earns AP Little All American Honors
- Midland Daily News: Pat Riepma, Faith, Family, and...
- Mike Gatt and Jim Eckhardt Named in Hall of Fame C...
- Hillsdale College Finishes #11 in final AFCA Poll
- Veldheer and Berube named 2nd team Daktronics All-...
- 3 Chargers invited to D2 All-Star Football Game
- Jared Veldheer Tabbed AFCA All-American
- Otter Named Regional Coach of the Year
- ▼ December (11)
- ► 2008 (146)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)