Tradition • Character • Service

Tradition • Character • Service

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

College Spotlight: Tinora graduate Eric Weber is a one-man wrecking crew at Hillsdale

Crescent-News.com:
College Spotlight: Tinora graduate Eric Weber is a one-man wrecking crew at Hillsdale
Lynn Groll


HILLSDALE, Mich. -- Whether it be in Tinora High School green and white or in Hillsdale College blue and white, Eric Weber has been a one-man wrecking crew during his gridiron career.

Weber arrived on the Hillsdale campus as a freshman with a small physique when it comes to Division II football standards at 6-2, 195, but has since transformed himself into a 245-pound monster in the trenches on the Hillsdale defensive line.

"He's been a kid that's developed," remarked seventh-year HC mentor Keith Otterbein, who was an award-winning linebacker for the Chargers from 1975-78. "We were excited to get him initially. He was a little bit undersized. That was one of the things we were a little afraid of. He's worked very hard to get himself built up for that stage. Obviously he's maintained his quickness while putting on that weight and adding that strength. It's made him a very difficult guy to block."

Weber aided Tinora to back-to-back Green Meadows Conference titles during his final two seasons with the Rams and led the Defiance six-county area each of those years in tackles. As a junior, Weber spilled 150 ball carriers before racking up 184 tackles as a senior during the fall of 2003.

"I think one of the big reasons I chose here was because it was a Division II football program with high competition-wise but also had really high academics," explained Weber. "I knew getting a degree here could really help me in the future.

"When I came here I was just under 200 and I think the heaviest I've been is about 250," added Weber. "My first year I just remember getting banged and beat up all the time in scout. That winter I just got in the weight room and worked hard and was eating in the cafeteria and eating about everything I could eat. Eventually the weight came on, and strength came with it, and I've been able to maintain it ever since. It was a lot of work, but I did it."

Full Article

No comments:

Search The Chargerblue.com News and Comment

The Web Chargerblue.com News and Comment

Blog Archive

Google Analytics