Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Hillsdale College Release: FOOTBALL PREVIEW: Chargers open 2008 season with non-league home game vs. St. Joseph's College
FOOTBALL PREVIEW: Chargers open 2008 season with non-league home game vs. St. Joseph's College
Hillsdale College Release
Teams meet for first time since Sept. 16, 1995
August 26, 2008 - A highly anticipated college football season kicks off in Hillsdale Saturday afternoon, as the Hillsdale College Chargers host the St. Joseph's College Pumas in the opening game of the 2008 season.
For the second year in a row, the Chargers open a season at home, and this is a season many Charger fans are excited about. In 2007, Hillsdale put together its finest season this decade, going 8-3 while shattering many offensive school records in the process.
But 2007 is history, and the group of players making up the 2008 roster are determined to keep Hillsdale near the top of the GLIAC standings. They take their first step towards that end Saturday.
This marks the first meeting between Hillsdale and St. Joseph's College since Sept. 16, 1995. The teams met each season from 1990-1995, when both were mebers of the short-lived Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (MIFC). The MIFC formed when the GLIAC dropped football as a conference after the 1989 season. The GLIAC re-formed as a football conference starting with the 1996 campaign.
Hillsdale is 6-2 all-time vs. St. Joseph's, and the two teams split their most recent two meetings. The Pumas edged the Chargers 29-27 in 1994. One year later, Hillsdale exacted revenge in the form of a 49-0 victory.
This year's Charger squad is deep, fast and experienced, with 15 starters returning from last year's successful group. One player who will be making his first collegiate start Saturday is sophomore quarterback Troy Weatherhead.
Armed with a strong throwing arm and two years' worth of knowledge of the Charger system, Weatherhead comes into this season very well prepared to guide a Hillsdale offense that has plenty of experience around him.
- ► 2014 (25)
- ► 2013 (99)
- ► 2012 (133)
- ► 2011 (139)
- ► 2010 (290)
- ► 2009 (279)
- Chargerblue Space is waiting
- Hillsdale.edu: Charger football team pummels Pumas...
- Podcast Up for Week 1
- D2football.com: Tony Nicolette's Weekly Column
- GLIAC.org: Top 25 Matchup Between Ashland and Bloo...
- University of Indianapolis: Rush Offense Key in Co...
- Hillsdale College Release: FOOTBALL PREVIEW: Charg...
- D2football.com Names Veldheer, Korte, Patillo All-...
- D2football.com: First Look at the Pumas
- Important Information from Hillsdale Parents Group...
- Post Game Mixer Set for Saturday
- And Now a Word from our Sponsor
- Introducing Chargerblue Space
- Hillsdale Ink
- Davignon Nominated for All State - AFCA Good Works...
- NFL Draft Bible Tabs 3 Chargers as All-Americans
- Coaches pick Hillsdale 5th
- Dead Blogging: GLIAC Media Day
- RJ Walters Gets Inside the Hiring of Don Brubacher...
- Waldie Welcomes the Challenge
- ▼ August (20)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)