Tradition • Character • Service

Tradition • Character • Service

Monday, April 30, 2007

Former Charger Aaron Petersen: From Dean to Deacon

Dean to deacon

By Maria Schmitt
Collegian Freelancer
April 26, 2007

In two years Dean of Men Aaron Petersen could bear an additional, more sanctified title.

Dean of Men Aaron Petersen

Participating in the deaconate process since 2003, Petersen could be ordained by the Catholic Church as early as May 2009 and serve as a clergyman at St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church in Hillsdale.

Petersen became an aspirant in 2005, was recognized by the Catholic Church in 2006 and entered the final stage before ordination: candidacy.

“This is parallel to an engagement ring,” Petersen said. “They recognize that there’s a call.”

Petersen said he’s considered joining the church since his college years. Once, he said, he was sitting in class and suddenly had a vision of himself before a congregation.

“I physically felt peaceful,” he said. “I was overwhelmed with emotion. It was a new experience.”

Petersen said he mistook this as a call to be a priest, but soon afterward he met his wife, Kathy.

“I knew that [getting married] was right beyond a shadow of a doubt,” he said.

Then in 2003 health problems surrounding the Petersen’s firstborn child caused him to rethink his own life.

“I had nine profound days of quiet,” he said. “I asked myself, ‘What about my own gift of life?’ Things were becoming really clear to me. It’s out of that that I acted.”

Full Story

No comments:

Search The Chargerblue.com News and Comment

The Web Chargerblue.com News and Comment

Blog Archive

Google Analytics