Tradition • Character • Service

Tradition • Character • Service

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Weatherhead Finds Good Fit at Hillsdale College

Thursday, February 02, 2006
By Jeff Chaney
The Grand Rapids Press
Troy Weatherhead is happy the decision has been made.

The Comstock Park quarterback has committed to continue his football career at Hillsdale College.

"I'm so glad this is over, this is a relief, because now I know where I am going," Weatherhead said. "The recruiting process was very stressful. I talked with a lot of different people before I made my decision. It was tough. This was definitely the toughest decision I have ever had to make. It was very hard."

Weatherhead had choices.

Western Michigan, Grand Valley State, Ferris State, Mercyhurst and Hillsdale all were interested in Weatherhead's services. In the end, he chose Hillsdale.

"I liked Hillsdale because they offered me a good sum of money," Weatherhead said. "Plus, they have great coaches and their offense fits what I like to do. They run a spread offense and that's what we did at Comstock Park."

Comstock Park assistant coach Matt Janiskee said that fit was a key reason Hillsdale was Weatherhead's choice.

"It was a matter of fit," Janiskee said. "We thought he was going to Western, but it just didn't work out there.

"Hillsdale, to me, is one of the best educations you can get in the country. And I think their program is up and coming under coach (Keith) Otterbein."

Otterbein and the Chargers are getting a quarterback who threw for 4,258 yards and 57 touchdowns in two seasons for the Panthers. His record as a starter was 14-6, and he led the team to O-K Silver and O-K Blue Conference championships.

The O-K Silver championship in 2004 was the team's first conference title in 21 years.

Now Weatherhead will try and win a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference title for Hillsdale.

But it won't be easy playing against teams such as Grand Valley State, the defending NCAA Division II national champions, Saginaw Valley State and Northwood.

Still, Weatherhead is ready for the challenge.

"I'm really excited," Weatherhead said. "It is a really good conference and I'm excited to play with the best players in Division II.

"I'll probably red-shirt my freshman year until I get to know the offense. And I want to put some size on me. I know I have some work to do.

"I need to hit the weight room hard and put some weight on before I even get down there. Plus, I know I am going to have to study because school is very tough down there."

Janiskee is confident Weatherhead will make a successful transition to the next level.

"I think Troy will do great at the next level," Janiskee said.

"I think he is a Division I talent playing at the Division II level, but in a tough conference."

No comments:

Search The Chargerblue.com News and Comment

The Web Chargerblue.com News and Comment

Blog Archive

Google Analytics