Friday, September 23, 2011
D2football.com: Tony Nicolette previews Chargers and Storm, rest of GLIAC
After getting dumped in week one, the Chargers have found a way to win a pair of close games with wild finishes against quality opponents. They head to the shores of Lake Erie to take on a Storm outfit that has struggled mightily after getting the season off to a winning start against Gannon just three short weeks ago.
- Give Joe a Break - I've chronicled how important Joe Glendening is to HC's offense. With that in mind, giving the kid a break might be in order. Anthony Mifsud has definitely settled in at the controls of the Charger offense, and the Lake Erie defense appears to be struggling in much the same way it did in 2010. Glendening had 40 touches last week, and while the kid can make plays his per carry average is down significantly over a year ago...not to mention he's on pace to risk being dinged once again down the stretch. I'd look for other ways to move the ball in this one, especially considering other options should present themselves against a sub-par defense. This is a good game to get some other guys some reps and to keep your top weapon healthy.
- Avoid the Steamroller - In other words, "don't come out flat". It wouldn't be a surprise, as Hillsdale just notched two huge wins at home against big rivals in last-minute thrillers. Jumping on a bus to Cleveland (and beyond) could certainly bring on a case of the blahs. Make no mistake, LEC can be dangerous...they darn near nipped HC at Muddy Waters a year ago.
Lake Erie Keys:
- Keep it in front of You - Despite some new personnel, Hillsdale is still Hillsdale...they run the ball, complete tons of high-percentage passes, and control the clock. Lake Erie must keep the plays in front of them, make sure tackles, and find a way to get off the field on third down. If they don't, the D will get gassed and big plays late will result. HC does this almost every week, so The Storm must be ready.
- Where's Sean? - I've been all about Sean Bedevelsky coming into the year, and after two games he's not been the threat he was a year ago. Granted, his first game was at Tech, but he really didn't do a whole lot against Saginaw Valley last week either. As he goes, so go The Storm...LEC needs its primary playmaker to get things going.
Hillsdale struggled against LEC last year, hold off The Storm 42-37 in a wild one. Despite the struggles LEC has had the last two weeks, I really think the Chargers need to have their guard up in this one. One has to wonder how much emotion HC will have left to be "up" for this one, especially on the road. I'll take Hillsdale simply because I haven't seen any real life out of LEC just yet, but I still contend that the Chargers should tread lightly. Hillsdale 34, Lake Erie 24.
Read the rest of Tony's take on things in Week 4.
- ► 2014 (25)
- ► 2013 (99)
- ► 2012 (133)
- Sorry folks, no podcast this week.
- Hillsdale's Joe Glendening is Week 4 GLIAC Footbal...
- Chargers weather the Storm 35-26 in win over Lake ...
- New Podcast posted: Riders on the Storm
- D2football.com: Tony Nicolette previews Chargers a...
- Muskegon Chronicle: Plenty of football excitement ...
- Patrick Heckenlively Game Photo Galleries
- Youtube: Hillsdale Receiver Brett Miller after 3 O...
- Hillsdale.edu: Chargers outlast Eagles in second-l...
- Call the new Chargerblue.com Feedback line at (512...
- Tony Nicolette's weekly look around the GLIAC
- Podcast Relaunched
- C'mon Chargers. Gotta be a dog....not a cat
- New crop of Hillsdale receivers are Smurftastic
- Free full replay of Hillsdale vs. GVSU now online
- WZZM13: Hillsdale Upsets #4 Grand Valley
- Youtube: Hillsdale Beats Grand Valley
- No name defense no more. Huge effort fuels win ove...
- Hillsdale College Sports Information: Hillsdale 34...
- GLIAC Updates: Saturday Sept. 10
- MLIve.com: Grand Valley State, Norman Shuford have...
- To podcast or not to podcast...you tell me
- D2football.com's Tony Nicolette previews GLIAC act...
- Eat right, get lots of rest, and drink lots of wat...
- Reinvigorated Gridiron Club kicks off Saturday
- Hillsdale's Holmes joins Cowboys Practice Squad
- Chargers come up short in debut at Ferris State.
- D2football.com's Tony Nicolette breaks down GLIAC ...
- ▼ September (28)
- ► 2010 (290)
- ► 2009 (279)
- ► 2008 (146)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)