Usually an invite to the Division II Cactus Bowl all-star game is big news among Hillsdale College football circles, and it was for a few minutes yesterday. Hillsdale College announced that senior wide receiver Andre Holmes had gotten the invite coveted by most D2 players.
It was only minutes later that Hillsdale issued another statement informing the public that Holmes would forego the January game in South Texas to play in a different Texas college all-star game.
Holmes, Hillsdale College's all-time leading receiver becomes the second Charger in a row to be invited to the Texas vs. the Nation game. Last season, Jared Veldheer's work at the showcase for pro hopefuls helped to propel him to a third round selection by the Oakland Raiders.
This year's game moves from El Paso to San Antonio and has been officially renamed to the NFLPA Game. The Players Association takes over sponsorship from the Pro Football Hall of Fame who had hosted the game for a number of years.
Last year Veldheer was just one of a handful of Division II players invited and it is likely that Holmes will be too this year. 31 game participants were drafted last season, with Veldheer being the first chosen.
In 2010 Andre Holmes caught 104 balls for 1368 yards and 11 touchdowns.
The game is scheduled for February 5. Get more information at the game's official website.
Thursday, December 09, 2010
- ► 2014 (25)
- ► 2013 (99)
- ► 2012 (133)
- ► 2011 (139)
- Hillsdale's Weatherhead gets late Cactus invite
- WZZM: West Catholic's Pittman says it's Hillsdale ...
- Sporting News: Hillsdale's Andre Holmes pre-draft ...
- The GLIAC President's Trophy: Rewarding nothing by...
- Former Charger assistant Jeff Phelps added to U Mi...
- Doerfler brings home the McAvoy Award
- Andre Holmes becomes second Charger in a row to ma...
- New Christmas stuff for Charger fans
- Hillsdale's Holmes and Weatherhead named 2nd team ...
- ▼ December (10)
- ► 2009 (279)
- ► 2008 (146)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)