Thursday, June 18, 2009
Mlive.com: GLIAC adds two
GLIAC approves addition of two news schools to the conference
by Kyle Austin | The Saginaw News
Wednesday June 17, 2009, 11:46 PM
Two new schools were added to the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Tuesday, after the conference's President's Council voted unanimously in favor of the expansion.
The two schools, Lake Erie College in Painesville, Ohio, and Ohio Dominican University in Columbus, Ohio, will bring the conference's total to 14 full members , league spokesman Jeff Ligney confirmed. The two schools will become full members on July 1, 2010.
With the expansion comes the possibility of moving to a two-division format in football. Ligney said that issue will be discussed at the athletic directors' summer meeting on Aug. 3. GLIAC officials hope to eventually expand the league to 16 teams.
Lake Erie has a total enrollment of about 1,200 and sponsors 18 varsity sports. Ohio Dominican has about 3,000 students and sponsors 14 sports. The GLIAC last expanded in the fall of 2008, when it added Tiffin University in Ohio, following the departures of Gannon and Mercyhurst.
- ► 2014 (25)
- ► 2013 (99)
- ► 2012 (133)
- ► 2011 (139)
- ► 2010 (290)
- 2009 Scholar Athletes: Embry aims to continue acad...
- Get Extended Coverage on Twitter
- Mlive.com: GLIAC adds two
- Charger Staff Gets its Tweet on.
- Mlive.com: GLIAC Eyes Expansion
- Hillsdale Football Recruit Glendening Caps Prep Ca...
- Another Publication, Another Charger All-American
- Berube, Veldheer Make Lindy's Pre-Season All Ameri...
- Wall Street Journal: How Hillsdale Beats Harvard
- Hillsdale's Drew Berube Named Pre-Season Division ...
- ▼ June (10)
- ► 2008 (146)
- ► 2007 (204)
- ► 2006 (119)
- ► 2005 (161)