Tradition • Character • Service

Tradition • Character • Service

Saturday, June 02, 2007

A Modest Proposal

Okay, so this has absolutely nothing to do with football, but it could transform the way we talk about any sport and especially coaching. Is there any cliche more tiresome than "like a deer caught in the headlights"? Personally I have always held to the notion that novel idea of impending death has something to do with the reason deer supposedly freeze before headlights, but this isn't about what is going through Bambi's mind a split second before an F150 is. This is a proposal to replace that phrase with something much more concise: "Flipped". The next time a coach fails to do the obvious just say he's "Flipped".

This would of course honor Piston's coach Flip Saunders who watched Lebron James score 29 of his team's last 30 points one night and on the next night watched an NBA rookie Boobie Gibson come off the bench to hit 5 of 5 three-pointers and score 31 points. I barely made my 7th grade basketball team but if I am Flip, I am using every body on my bench to put out the fires somehow. Heck, my sole worth to my 7th grade team was the 5 fouls I had to give. To Flip's credit, they did send Boobie to the line for 15 free throw attempts. Hey Flip, I hear Seattle is nice. Of course the Sacramento job means you could probably stay at the Palms in Vegas anytime you'd like. Just watch your mouth around Joey Porter at the 21 tables.

No comments:

Search The Chargerblue.com News and Comment

The Web Chargerblue.com News and Comment

Blog Archive

Google Analytics